Friday, July 30, 2010

Did you say Mac and Cheese?

OK so since so many people have asked me for my recipe I will willingly share it with you. As always when searching for a recipe I use my handy google tool and try to find the best, but when none seem good enough to me I make it up. So here it goes.

Serves 6
I doubled it for the party here plus I wouldn't say I actually measured the cheese these are estimations of how much I put. I say you use to your preference.

picture of the dish



1 lb. macaroni
6 TBSP all-purpose flour
6 TBSP butter
2 C. warm milk (I use 2% because that is all I have in my house, but skim would work as well)
1 C. old cheddar grated
1 C. extra old Cheddar grated (you could also use all extra old cheddar for a stronger flavor. You have to use a strong cheese because the milk absorbs a lot of the flavor.)
1 C. Pecorino Romano Cheese grated
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic minced
dash of cayenne pepper


Instructions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Cook macaroni until very al dente. I don't like mushy mac and cheese.
Drain, rinse, and set aside.
Over low heat melt butter.
Add flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic whisk until smooth.
Simmer and stir until mixture thickens into a paste and changes into a golden color.
Slowly add milk, whisking it into the butter mixture until smooth.
Bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened.
It must be thicker than gravy, but not as thick as pudding.
Remove pot from heat.
Add the cheeses stir until well mixed and melting.
Add macaroni and stir to coat.
Pour into a 9x12 Baking dish
If you have more cheddar cheese you can sprinkle on top. I of course reserved some to do just this.
Bake 25-30 min. When it starts to bubble and become crispy on top it is ready.

I actually prepared mine beforehand, kept it in the fridge and then popped it in when I was ready for it seeing as no one likes cold mac and cheese.

I hope you enjoy it and I hope that you can understand my explanations well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment